Relocating can be a very stressful process, especially if you dive right in without a moving checklist. There are a lot of things to coordinate before settling into your new house, and dropping the ball (or boxes) could be disastrous.
Using a moving company is one way to lighten the load in the moving process. Professional removalists will dismantle your furniture, help with hanging clothes, carry the bulky items with ease, and load them onto the moving truck.
A range of moving services removalists offer can actually be quite extensive and make your move a bit easier, and there are some things you can do yourself to minimise stress in the weeks leading up to your moving date, too.
To make your next relocation a little smoother, our team at ABC Removalists have compiled the best tips for moving house you need to know.
What You Can Expect From Your Moving Service
More Australians are moving each year, and the first tip for a stress-free move is to find a removalist company offering all the services you require, making the logistics much easier to manage (and helping you save money in the long run).
The most basic removalist services include collecting your moving boxes and furniture from your home and safely delivering them to your new location. They will move as many boxes as you need, but be sure to disclose any big and bulky items like a piano or king-sized bed before the moving date, as they may need additional movers.
Enquire with removalists about their unique services on offer and choose one that can provide you with everything you need.
Packing and Unpacking Services
An extremely useful service offered by many movers is packing and unpacking.
This will involve well-trained professional packers on their team who know how to wrap up all your fragile items in the safest way possible.
For example, they can wrap glasses, dinner services, and ornaments in bubble wrap and pack smaller boxes in a specific way to save space and time, all while ensuring the protection of your property.
The packing service also includes packing and labelling cardboard boxes and other items in a strategic method to make the unpacking process quick and easy, regardless of whether you do it yourself or take advantage of their unpacking services.
Some companies will offer packing boxes and only bill you for the amount you need. With each moving box, you may also find:
- Plastic wrap
- Packing paper
- Plastic bags
- Packing tape
Simply ask them what packing materials they can offer or listen to their experienced recommendations.
Of course, you can buy all this yourself next time you’re out grocery shopping, but it’s much quicker and easier to do everything from one place and pay one invoice after settling into your new house.
If you’re moving house, there can be various reasons why you might require storage, such as you’re moving from a big house into a smaller apartment and aren’t yet ready to discard some of your belongings. Perhaps your new home isn’t going to be ready by the time you need to vacate your previous property, and you’re stuck in limbo for a few days, looking for a solution to store your possessions.
Professional movers offering mobile storage can come and collect your belongings and load them onto a moving truck. The truck has a storage unit at the back that will be yours for as long as needed. The storage unit will then be kept in the warehouse safely until you’re ready to receive your goods, and they’ll be delivered to your desired location.
Packing Tips and Other Suggestions To Make Moving Day Easier
Now that we have discussed what you should expect from your movers let’s explore our moving tips. Some of these packing tips and tricks may take a few hours to do before the time but will make a big difference on your moving day.
Tips Leading Up to the Move
Here are some useful measures to take in the days leading up to the move:
- Water your pot plants a few days before moving. They will be much heavier when they’re full of water, and soil that’s too wet or too dry can also prove messy.
- Start packing as soon as you can, and consider getting rid of any unnecessary items. Most of us have so much stuff we really don’t need that other people could benefit from. Donate any out-of-season clothing or duplicate items you might have.
Tips on Selecting the Right Boxes
Got your boxes? Be sure to consider these points:
- Try to use boxes similar in size as it makes carrying and stacking much easier.
- Be wary of using recycled or previously used boxes from a friend or family member. Ensure they have good structural integrity, or opt to use those for lighter items that are less important or fragile — like pillows, bedding, or stuffed animals.
Tips on Packing
Now that it’s time to put everything away, remember to keep in mind:
- When you’re putting boxes into piles, ensure all heavy items are at the bottom, and the lighter items are on top. Heavy boxes will flatten the lighter ones.
- Fill up any empty spaces in the boxes with things like towels, coats or jackets, or use bunched-up paper. Loosely packed boxes can become unbalanced, and the contents can shake around and get damaged.
- Make sure the tape on your boxes is secure on both sides. There’s a chance that all the contents could fall out the bottom because it wasn’t taped properly.
- One of the most useful packing tips is to label and colour-code the boxes according to their contents and which room they belong in. This will help the movers know which boxes to deliver in which rooms, making the whole process simpler.
- Empty your drawers into suitcases or a plastic bag. Carrying a chest full of drawers will be heavy, and it can be difficult to manoeuvre without the drawers (and all your belongings inside) falling out.
Key Takeaways on Tips For Moving House
When you’re moving house, you can pack all your own things or hire a professional removalist team to assist you and make the process easier with the various services they provide.
Many removalists can assist with:
- Packing and unpacking services
- Moving boxes
There are some packing tips for moving, too, such as packing in advance, donating old clothes, and ensuring boxes are strong and closed securely.
If you utilise some of these moving tips, it can save you time and stress in the long run.